The Predictability, Predictions and Applications Interface (PPAI) Panel's mission is to foster improved practices in the provision, validation and uses of climate information and forecasts through coordinated participation within the US and international climate science and applications communities.
|Predictability, Predictions and Applications Interface (PPAI) Panel
|Member name||Institution||Term through|
|Bruce Anderson, co-chair||Boston University||Dec. 2014|
|Arun Kumar, co-chair||NOAA National Centers for Environmental Prediction||Dec. 2013|
|Annalisa Bracco||Georgia Institute of Technology||Dec. 2013|
|Tony Barnston||Columbia University/International Research Institute for Climate and Society||Dec. 2014|
|Judah Cohen||Atmospheric and Environmental Research/Massachusetts Institute of Technology||Dec. 2014|
|Curtis Deutsch||University of California, Los Angeles||Dec. 2013|
|Joshua Xiouhua Fu||University of Hawaii||Dec. 2013|
|Gregg Garfin||University of Arizona||Dec. 2013|
|Yoo-Geun Ham||Universities Space Research Association/NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
|Hyemi Kim||Stony Brook University||Dec. 2015|
|Ron Lindsay||University of Washington||Dec. 2013|
|Kathy Pegion||University of Colorado/NOAA Earth System Research Laboratory||Dec. 2015|
|Andrea Ray||NOAA Earth System Research Laboratory||Dec. 2015|
|Cristiana Stan||Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies||Dec. 2013|
|Liqiang Sun||Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites/North Carolina State University||Dec. 2013|
Terms of Reference
- Review, prioritize, and coordinate US plans to characterize predictability, and demonstrate improved prediction capabilities, on sub-seasonal, seasonal, S-I, decadal, and century and longer time scales as necessary to achieve the goals of CLIVAR.
- Interface with agency and CCSP activities and groups (e.g. NOAA-NMFS, IRI, and RISAs; NASA-RESACs, RACs, and ESIPs) to identify user requirements for useful climate information, improve the communication of these requirements, and encourage development of appropriate tools and approaches for improved decision support capabilities.
- Coordinate US efforts to insure advances in prediction research have appropriate connections and pathways into operational forecast system development.
- Develop and encourage mechanisms (e.g. community workshops, commissioned studies, Working Groups) to further the development and implementation of a research strategy, including filling gaps. Advise on the adequacy and effectiveness of Working Group plans and their implementation.
- Advise US CLIVAR on research priorities, identify research gaps, and develop suitable milestones to promote funding opportunities. Help foster and coordinate joint agency participation and support of relevant activities.
- Publicize accomplishments and demonstrated progress in research leading to improved prediction capabilities and applications of prediction information.
- Coordinate with other national and international activities to develop integrated, efficient, and effective overall international plans and activities.
Liaise with other US CLIVAR panels and Working Groups to insure prediction is considered in their efforts.